Posted By: Daphne's
Categories: Arizona Golf, Daphne's California Greek, Golf, golf tournament, Health Benefits of Golf, Healthy Living, Kierland Golf Course, Live Well, Scottsdale Golf
As we enter into the winter months, Scottsdale, Arizona is one city still warm enough for a round of golf. Scottsdale houses some of the worlds greatest golf courses and the Kierland Golf Club just so happens to be about a 7 iron away from Daphne's… ok maybe not that close- 2.1 miles to be exact. Though at times the game may be more frustrating than fun, research has discovered quite a few health benefits that might tempt you to hit the fairway.
5 Health Benefits of Golf:
1. Endorphins - As long as you don't put the pressue on yourself to compete with Tiger, golfing releases natural mood enhancing drugs called endorphins to your bloodstream.
2. Exercise - While you're not quite running a marathon, a round of golf is equivalent to a four to eight mile stroll and burns about 300 calories in a 150 lb. individual walking and carrying their clubs.
3. Brain Power - Besides good nutrition and exercise, your body must also be energized mentally in order to ward off diseases such as Alzheimer’s. Golf constantly challenges the mind in terms of concentration, strategy, coordination and even keeping your cool after missing that 2ft putt!
4. Better Sleep - Multiple studies have proven that regular exercise increases the likelihood of a pleasant, deeper and longer slumber. And while you're dreaming of a hole-in-one, your muscles finally have a chance to repair themselves. An active day on the course = a restful night under the covers!
5. Vitamin D - Vitamin D is necessary for strong bones, regulating growth in skin cells and regulating the amount of calcium and phosphorus in the blood. Sure, you can eat fortified foods, but why waste time at the grocery store when you can spend a beautiful day on the course and let your body naturally produce the essential vitamin? Enjoy all the benefits of those warm rays but don't forget the sunscreen!